Thursday, October 08, 2009

A Burning Heart

I threw a special key away.
The key to my heart.
But as they say,
Miracles do happen
Because the key found its way
Into your arms.
You saw the door and hesitated.
A week or two, then you decided
To open it up.
You saw dirt, cobwebs
And soot darker than sin itself.
But you took your time
To clean it up and furnish it
To a home you saw
Only in your dreams.
You put yourself
Under house arrest
For three whole months
And then.....you left.
You were the light that kept out the darkness
That drove away the demons.
Now they are back seven-fold.
They've destroyed all the furniture
They've burnt down the house.
Now I have a heart of rage
Worse than a heart of stone.
I tried to save your picture
But I couldn't.
The flames got there before me.
Now here you lie
Dead before me.
Like the others who left like you.
But you were different
I tried to save you.
I did....but I couldn't...
Couldn't save you from the flames.

1 comment:

Douglas said...

I like the simple way u tell a complex story... but I challenge u, make it more flowery, a bit more exotic; use deeper words/phrases - even old-fashioned or antiquated ones.